Hi everyone, my name's Sean McCann. I'm a senior at Iona College in New Rochelle, New York, and I'm currently working on my senior thesis, which is an investigation into addiction of MMO's. It's a subject that's interesting to me, as I've played MMO's in the past and currently have a (healthy) playtime, although I admit in the past I did have some trouble with it. However now that's behind me, I want to try to do what I can to bring attention towards addiction to MMO's, as I feel that it's something that should be officially treated as a serious addiction, despite whatever was decided this past summer.
What I'd ask from anyone who wishes to here at OLGA is to fill out the following questionnaire and send meA,A a private-message with the answers. If you no longer play MMO's and are recovering, you can answer for what your playing habits were at their worst. Your name will be kept completely anonymous, and the results will only be used in my essay. The purpose of the essay is to examine why people are addicted, and the questionnaire will (hopefully) be used to show when gaming becomes an addiction and not just a past-time. I'd greatly appreciate and be very thankful for anyone who can take the time out of their day to fill it out. Thank you very much, and if you're still on the road to recovery, I wish you the best of luck!
1. What is your gender?
2. How many hours a week do/did you play Massive Multiplayer Online Games (MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s)?
Under 5 hours -
5 to 9 hours-
10 to 14 hours-
15 to 29 hours-
20 to 24 hours-
25 hours and over-
3. What is your occupation? (Student, teacher, unemployed etc.)
4. What is your marital status?
5. What MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s have you played?
6. How many maximum level character alts do you have in the game?
Answer the following questions on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being strongly disagree and 5 being strongly agree.
7. I have neglected important things/responsibilities because of MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
8. My social life has suffered because of MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
9. When not playing MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s I become agitated.
10. IAC/a,!a,,C/ve had arguments because of how much IAC/a,!a,,C/ve played MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
11. I use MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s as an escape from socialization.
12. I have never failed to get enough sleep because of MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
13. IAC/a,!a,,C/ve missed meals because of MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
14. It would bother me to never play MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s again.
15. I hate to go without MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s for a few days.
16. I think often about an MMO when not playing it.
17. I want to spend an increasing amount of time playing MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
18. I try to make my playing sessions last as long as possible.
19. I donAC/a,!a,,C/t socialize with others in MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
20. I donAC/a,!a,,C/t talk to my friends about what I do in MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s.
21. I speak with people IAC/a,!a,,C/ve met on MMOAC/a,!a,,C/s on chat-programs (Skype, Ventrillo, Teamspeak etc.)
How old are you?
10 to 14-
15 to 19-
20 to 24-
25 to 29-
30 to 34-
35 to 39-
40 to 44-
45 and older -