Day 100 Journey Progress Report (Next goal: Recover from Relapse!)

90 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maggie
Maggie's picture
OLGA member
kyunga1214 wrote: Everytime
kyunga1214 wrote:

Everytime we fail, we get just that much closer to success. Trial & Error, right? Before coming to OLGA, I cannot even count how many relapses I had and all the times I reverted back to misery. But it was those failures that eventually led us to this community ... out of desperation, out of desire to try something new. Our approach gets refined, our strategy gets refined, our focus gets more clear and pointed everytime we fail. I think that's really the reason why I was able to gain so much from this community and this progress report writing habit.

To sum it up, I think the three things that helped drive me for the past 3 months were

1) Deciding to transform my career, quit my job and restart my education from scratch

2) Finding other time-consuming activities in my life (church, volunteering)

3) Focusing on mental, physical, professional and spiritual growth

And I can honestly say, I am at one of the most mentally mature, stable and clear periods in my life.

That is awesome Kyunga! I could not agree more. One day at a time that is how we make all things possible. Keep it going...hugs.

It's good to have goals and dreams, but while you're waiting for things to change, waiting for promises to come to pass, don't be discontent with where you are. Learn to enjoy the season that you're in--Pastor Joel Osteen

LearningSerenity
OLGA member
It's great to hear that

It's great to hear that things are going so well for you, kyunga. Recovery is a wonderful gift... :)

When you're going through hell...keep going. --Winston Churchill There is no pit so deep that God is not deeper still --Corrie ten Boom

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Maggie wrote: That is
Maggie wrote:

That is awesome Kyunga! I could not agree more. One day at a time that is how we make all things possible. Keep it going...hugs.

Maggie, I love your Joel Osteen quote by the way!!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
LearningSerenity
LearningSerenity wrote:

It's great to hear that things are going so well for you, kyunga. Recovery is a wonderful gift... :)

Thank you so much, LS!! I am grateful to God and OLGA for helping me through this.

I hope to come back often to offer support to others on the forums.

MammaTam
OLGA member
Woo hoo!  You achieved your

Woo hoo! You achieved your goal. That's fantastic. You've also put your focus on new goals for work and study, moved house, changed you environment and lifestyle, engaged at church and made a serious turn in the road. For the better. I'm so proud of you.

Cheers tam

.find_in_page{background-color:#ffff00 !important;padding:0px;margin:0px;overflow:visible !important;}.findysel{background-color:#ff9632 !important;padding:0px;margin:0px;overflow:visible !important;}

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity"
Albert Einstein.

Maggie
Maggie's picture
OLGA member
Stay humble, my friend.

Stay humble, my friend. Congrats on reaching your goal.

It's good to have goals and dreams, but while you're waiting for things to change, waiting for promises to come to pass, don't be discontent with where you are. Learn to enjoy the season that you're in--Pastor Joel Osteen

lizwool
lizwool's picture
AdministratorBoard MemberGrandparentOLG-Anon memberWebmaster
/bump

/bump

Liz Woolley

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Hey, guys just as an update.

Hey, guys just as an update. After the 175 days streak starting from this post, I relapsed for the last 4 days playing a lot by myself, about 18 hours total. :( Just wanted to own up to it.

Since I'm studying all by myself during the day at home, I do have a lot of free time in front of the computer. After months of fighting different temptations and being stressed out from continous studying, I "licensed" myself to play videogames if I studied over a certain amount, thinking that it would be a good strategy to motivate myself.

Once I gave in, it was almost like a flood waiting at the gate. The first night I got back to playing, I was playing until 5:30AM without sleeping. The second and third nights, I was able to control myself better but it was almost like I couldn't edge away from the screen. The fourth night, I started realizing the utter stupidness of playing and uninstalled everything.

As much as it sucks, I will need to learn from this valuable experience and move on. I will start from Day 1. I'm going to have to be even more vigilant this time about relapses!

First of all, the urge is still there (even after about 6 months of clean streak). I thought I could controll it better after this streak, but I was underestimating the power of the addiction.

I will need to watch out and not "license" myself to install and play addictive games on my computer as a "motivator" or a "reward". I didn't have that problem during the clean streak because I was so determined to go clean, but now that I have had the "success" on my belt, perhaps I started taking it too easy. I will need to do the same things I did last time, filling my time with other valuable activities and finding my rewards/motivations that way.

I promise that PC Gaming or Console Gaming, from now on, will never be used as a "reward". That binge-urge will always be lurking. I will keep reminding myself that since i went 175 days clean once, I can do it again, this time with even more wisdom and vigor.

I will also need to find new ways to relax. Perhaps I've been stretching myself too thin through a schedule that was too rigorous for me, forcing me to "escape". Perhaps I've been more tired and stressed out and lonelier than I magined. I will allow myself more ample time for relaxing (other than video-gaming).

I will visit from time to time, commenting on people's posts and updating my progress!

abdallah326
OLGA member
You have good mindset. keep

You have good mindset. keep it up

But be careful moderating playing hours is so hard if not imposible, video games nowadays force u to play like 10 hours nonstop etc.

So dont say i will play 2hours only cuz 2 hours will bring another 2 and so on

You did superb effort for 175 and of course u can do it again

Good LUCK

Never Give UP :)

Game free since 10th July 2014
You Can Do It :)

Silvertabby
Silvertabby's picture
OLGA memberOLGA moderator
Hi kyunga.  You are right

Hi kyunga. You are right about the binge-urge always lurking. I went over two years without gaming and then decided I'd try it again. I was amazed at how strongly the obsession came back. But, in my mind, I'm thinking I can game a little and not let it get out of control, but that's just not the case. If I game at all, it just feeds the addiction and I want more. But I'm glad you've learned from the experience. Hopefully it will make you stronger next time. Do be aware, though, that the cravings will be stronger for a little while, and you may even go through some withdrawal symptoms again. I know I did after my relapse. If you feel you need a bit more support, come to some of the meetings. We have them at 3 and 9 pm EST every day.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. ~Maria Robinson

kyunga1214
OLGA member
abdallah326 wrote: You have
abdallah326 wrote:

You have good mindset. keep it up

But be careful moderating playing hours is so hard if not imposible, video games nowadays force u to play like 10 hours nonstop etc.

So dont say i will play 2hours only cuz 2 hours will bring another 2 and so on

You did superb effort for 175 and of course u can do it again

Good LUCK

Never Give UP :)

THanks abdalllah!!!! Yeah, I'm not going to moderate playing hours anymore. This relapse was pretty valuable in that way. My "lesser brain" kept telling me "Hey now that you've gone clean for so long, you can moderate your hours!" so I listened to it prematurely. Now, I know. No matter how long your clean streak goes, you cannot open it up. Once you get the momentum going again, the wave strikes again.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Silvertabby wrote: Hi
Silvertabby wrote:

Hi kyunga. You are right about the binge-urge always lurking. I went over two years without gaming and then decided I'd try it again. I was amazed at how strongly the obsession came back. But, in my mind, I'm thinking I can game a little and not let it get out of control, but that's just not the case. If I game at all, it just feeds the addiction and I want more. But I'm glad you've learned from the experience. Hopefully it will make you stronger next time. Do be aware, though, that the cravings will be stronger for a little while, and you may even go through some withdrawal symptoms again. I know I did after my relapse. If you feel you need a bit more support, come to some of the meetings. We have them at 3 and 9 pm EST every day.

Thank you, Silvertabby!!! yeah, same experience. It's almost like our "lesser brain" is making excuses and letting down our guard to get us chasing that feeling again.

The meetings sound like a great idea. I'm in EST so I will try to make some of the 9PM EST meeitngs. Yup, Kinda scared about the withdrawal symptoms ... but perhaps I can be more vigilant about exercising and relaxing in other ways.

abdallah326
OLGA member
what if i didnt eperience

what if i didnt eperience any withdrawal symptoms? is this normal i just quitted yesterday

Silvertabby
Silvertabby's picture
OLGA memberOLGA moderator
abdallah326 wrote: what if

[quote=abdallah326]

what if i didnt eperience any withdrawal symptoms? is this normal i just quitted yesterday

[/quote

Give it some time. They often don't start until a day or two after quitting. If you never experience any, you can be very grateful. Some people's are worse than others.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. ~Maria Robinson

abdallah326
OLGA member
Thanks for your advice I'll

Thanks for your advice

I'll try not to give my mind a chance to think about gaming i will keep investing my time

Have a Nice Day ")

solace32
OLGA member
This is an amazing journey

This is an amazing journey and thank you for sharing it. I am on day 2 of completely game free. This morning I had an urge to go back to the game until I read your story and then checked myself! Whew so close.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
solace32 wrote: This is an
solace32 wrote:

This is an amazing journey and thank you for sharing it. I am on day 2 of completely game free. This morning I had an urge to go back to the game until I read your story and then checked myself! Whew so close.

Hi, Solace!! I am glad!! I'm actually on Day 2 from a recent relapse so we are on the same boat haha, :) let's fight this out together!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Relapse Recovery  Day

Relapse Recovery

Day 2

Decided to come back to OLGA a lot more often. After the clean streak, I thought myself "invincible" and "strong enough" to keep going and never fall back to the old habits again but wow, I was definitely underestimating the power of the addiction. I'm going to keep posting on the recovery from this relapse, as much as I can, just like I did in the 100 day journey.

Withdrawal symptoms are definitely there. I keep thinking about videogames ... a lot more often than I did during the clean streak. It's almost like the brain "remembered" again the taste of the reward hormones from the games, and wants to get me to fall back in again. It's a dangerous feeling, uncomfortable tension. But we have to fight it nonetheless. Sleep patterns are definitely being affected ... napping a lot.

I also think about why I relapsed. I think it was because my alternative methods of relieving tension weren't very effective. Yes, church and regular exercise are great influences on my life, but perhaps that's not enough. My daily rhythm has changed significantly from when I was doing the 100-day program, since I am studying at home full-time. Trying to get myself prepared for job-searching and learning new skills are definitely stressful so I was looking for ways to relieve the tension, hence the escapism to video games again.

Do help me out with any stress-releasing activities that help you! I'm thinking about things like meditating more, picking up the guitar again, socializing and reaching out to people more, taking walks to the park more and etc.

Andrew_Doan
Andrew_Doan's picture
OLG-Anon memberOLGA memberOutreach
All you mention above are

All you mention above are awesome ideas! Also, connect with people, family and friends. Spend time with people you enjoy being with!

Come to meetings online and seek face-to-face meetings locally too.

Andrew P. Doan, MPH, MD, PhD

My Gaming Addiction Videos on YouTube: YouTube.com/@DrAndrewDoan

*The views expressed are of the author's and do not necessarily reflect the official policy of the U.S. Navy, DHA or Department of Defense.

solace32
OLGA member
Hi kyunga1214, if we try

Hi kyunga1214, if we try harder we can beat this addiction like many in this community have already done. I've had a few relapses after I joined OGLA forum too.

After reading your daily account, I've realized that what I really need to do is to get myself out of the apartment! Sitting at home with so many electronic devices around is not making quitting easier. The laptop is begging me to surf YouTube for another hour. The iPad is beeping with alarts for newest game updates. Even the couch is inviting me to loll on it just all morning.

So I say I don't want any of this. I've been going back to church now for a few weeks and I plan to keep it up. I used to love playing tennis until gaming wiped it away and I plan to check out a few tennis meetups in my area soon. I just have to keep reminding myself of how miserable I felt back then after a 12-hour gaming session and it was already dark outside another beautiful day zoomed by without my participation in it.

It's tough when you no longer have an obligation such as work that demands your attention for the most part of the day. In your post you mentioned studying at a library. I wonder have you tried going back there or maybe tried studying at a cafe? I found simply getting outside the house would help elevate my mood and help deter me away from thoughts of gaming. You already did it once for 100 days (when many of us struggle to stay free or even a week), you can do it again!!

MammaTam
OLGA member
Hugs Kyunga, I'm sorry to

Hugs Kyunga,

I'm sorry to hear about your bust :( I relapsed around 30 times when I was first in recovery, I couldn't seem to get past 7-10 days. What caused better recovery was that each time I busted I asked myself "What did you learn?". and then I learned what NOT to do next time. It's wise for you to be analytical of the circumstances and put new activities in place to prevent this happening again. For me the best things that keep me connected to my recovery are f2f meetings in a GA fellowship, Skype Meetings, getting a sponsor.

I'm eager to hear about your next steps in recovery and here to support you if you need encouragement.

HugsTam

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity"
Albert Einstein.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Andrew_Doan wrote: All you
Andrew_Doan wrote:

All you mention above are awesome ideas! Also, connect with people, family and friends. Spend time with people you enjoy being with!

Come to meetings online and seek face-to-face meetings locally too.

Thank you, Andrew! Yes, connecting with people sounds like a great idea ... Perhaps I've been stressed from lack of social interactions, esp because I'm kinda limiting social activities intentionally because I was trying to focus more on studying and not spending money at bars or parties ... but perhaps I can find just friends to hang out with, with relatively low expenses

kyunga1214
OLGA member
solace32 wrote: Hi
solace32 wrote:

Hi kyunga1214, if we try harder we can beat this addiction like many in this community have already done. I've had a few relapses after I joined OGLA forum too.

After reading your daily account, I've realized that what I really need to do is to get myself out of the apartment! Sitting at home with so many electronic devices around is not making quitting easier. The laptop is begging me to surf YouTube for another hour. The iPad is beeping with alarts for newest game updates. Even the couch is inviting me to loll on it just all morning.

So I say I don't want any of this. I've been going back to church now for a few weeks and I plan to keep it up. I used to love playing tennis until gaming wiped it away and I plan to check out a few tennis meetups in my area soon. I just have to keep reminding myself of how miserable I felt back then after a 12-hour gaming session and it was already dark outside another beautiful day zoomed by without my participation in it.

It's tough when you no longer have an obligation such as work that demands your attention for the most part of the day. In your post you mentioned studying at a library. I wonder have you tried going back there or maybe tried studying at a cafe? I found simply getting outside the house would help elevate my mood and help deter me away from thoughts of gaming. You already did it once for 100 days (when many of us struggle to stay free or even a week), you can do it again!!

You are right on the money, solace. Being in the apartment, especially when your main objective is studying, can be quite dangerous. Without conscious effort into scheduling outside activities, I end up spending a lot of time indoors, sometimes never seeing daylight. I think that's a great idea to balance out studyiing time with outside activity/social time. (Meetups are definitely a great way to do that ... perhaps I can try to find good free events about 1-2 times a week). Library time is fine too but I work on my desktop computer so I'm kidna stuck in my room environment for the time being. But you are definitely right that even a short walk outside can elevate your mood greatly.

Thanks so much for the support!! I think it's great that you are going to church more and planning to go back to tennis. Let's take it one day at a time.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
MammaTam wrote: Hugs
MammaTam wrote:

Hugs Kyunga,

I'm sorry to hear about your bust :( I relapsed around 30 times when I was first in recovery, I couldn't seem to get past 7-10 days. What caused better recovery was that each time I busted I asked myself "What did you learn?". and then I learned what NOT to do next time. It's wise for you to be analytical of the circumstances and put new activities in place to prevent this happening again. For me the best things that keep me connected to my recovery are f2f meetings in a GA fellowship, Skype Meetings, getting a sponsor.

I'm eager to hear about your next steps in recovery and here to support you if you need encouragement.

HugsTam

Thanks always for the constant support, MammaTam. It's kind of a crucial job-searching period for me (which is also kind of a transitional period, since I won't be at home all day once I find a position), so the stress is what's been bothering me ... so I will need to find better ways to deal with stress and find new activities.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Relapse Recovery Day 7 Some

Relapse Recovery

Day 7

Some withdrawal symptoms

1) sleep schedule everywhere - napping 1~2 hours

2) stress ... lack of focus compared to previous weeks

But weight-training has paid dividends. It literally transforms my mood for the better. Cannot be underestimated.

Game cravings are not as strong as previous few days, so I'm glad about the improvement. Been more aware of stressful triggers and taking more breaks lately. I definitely think the stress is psychological. It's not any major life change, but the fact that I am pressured to find a job soon (since my savings are not going to last much longer for studying), I think it has been getting to me subconsciously. I definitely feel a little more agitated lately.

Will take it slowly. One day at a time. I'm gonna take some time to take care of myself more than pushing myself ruthlessly.

ChrisMix26
ChrisMix26's picture
OLGA member
Kyunga, you got this,

Kyunga, you got this, dude! Kick this addiction's **** in the *** and then ****!!!! (Okay, I threw in the stars on purpose, but I think the concept of swearing in a pep talk might make you more motivated?) ************ yeah it does!

It's time to make up for lost time!

Game free since May 20, 2013.

solace32
OLGA member
Kyunga I'm so encouraged by

Kyunga I'm so encouraged by the fact that you continue to come back here and update this thread even after relapses. The relapses are part of the "getting better" process! Keep it strong! And good luck on the job search!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
ChrisMix26 wrote: Kyunga,
ChrisMix26 wrote:

Kyunga, you got this, dude! Kick this addiction's **** in the *** and then ****!!!! (Okay, I threw in the stars on purpose, but I think the concept of swearing in a pep talk might make you more motivated?) ************ yeah it does!

Yes it does!!! thanks Chris!!!! Your 1-year streak is amazing!!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
solace32 wrote: Kyunga I'm
solace32 wrote:

Kyunga I'm so encouraged by the fact that you continue to come back here and update this thread even after relapses. The relapses are part of the "getting better" process! Keep it strong! And good luck on the job search!

Thank you!!! I'm very glad I have OLGA despite the relapse. People like you have been very supportive.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Day 10 Thank you for all the

Day 10

Thank you for all the support, everybody in OLGA. I felt ashamed of the relapse, especially after that clean streak log, but people have been so warm here.

I think the worst of the withdrawal is over. Whew, Thank the Lord! No more intense cravings. More or less looking at games as a source of disgust ... perhaps in a couple weeks, I may crave them again, but for right now, it feels alright.

Exercise has been the most important. I really feel like nothing beats exercise in terms of fixing your mood, just getting your brain back in order and getting all negative energy outside of you. Exericise plus getting some good outdoor sunlight time has been consistently transformational. I wish we could be addicted to exercise!

I've been definitely lax on my "social activity". When I was working full-time, perhaps I took the social aspect for granted, the colleagues in the workplace. But now that I'm studying/working from home, I lack much social interaction at all and it gets me feeling pretty depressed and stressed out. I feel it's crucial that I make more effort to search out social opportunities, per other's advice on OLGA. This past Friday, I had dinner with friends for the first time inawhile, and it definitely got my oxytocin balance in order, I felt normal again. Going days studying indoors can be quite scary and dangerous.

Another good stress relief channel is ... music! I heard other people talk about it on OLGA but I never truly appreciated it until I was in this withdrawal recently. Both listening to new good music and playing music on the guitar have been definitely helpful. It just engages me in flow and makes me lose the track of time almost. Gets me feeling excited and happier again.

Meditation has done wonders too. In the beginning, it was excruciating just sitting by myself for minutes on end but I think I was shooting for way too long in the beginning. After I just started with shorter increments, like 5 minutes, I could gradually work my way up to 10 minutes! Meditation has been a saving grace over the past few weeks.

Filling the empty void that video-games used to fill in the past ... would be the key. I know my daily rhythm is not going to be like this forever, and it's going to change drastically once I find a new job, but until then, I'm going to try these tips and try to make the best of this time.

MammaTam
OLGA member
Lol I think I feel a little

Lol I think I feel a little jealous of your withdrawals ending after 10 days. For me they have gone on for weeks and weeks. In fact 10 months after my bust I still get the occasional gaming dream and accompanying triggers.

I know you can get your time up again, just like you did last time. As for me I'm less than a month away from my personal goal of 333 days. August 16 here we come.

Prayers and hugs

Tam

Albert Einstein.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
MammaTam wrote: Lol I think
MammaTam wrote:

Lol I think I feel a little jealous of your withdrawals ending after 10 days. For me they have gone on for weeks and weeks. In fact 10 months after my bust I still get the occasional gaming dream and accompanying triggers.

I know you can get your time up again, just like you did last time. As for me I'm less than a month away from my personal goal of 333 days. August 16 here we come.

Prayers and hugs

Tam

Woah, almost a year clean, Tam!! That's awesome.

I still get cravings when I'm stressed, I think

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Day 13 I'm really stressed

Day 13

I'm really stressed out today and almost reached for gaming again.

This is my first day of officially "job-searching" and sending out all kinds of job applications ... and it got me into escapism mode after awhile. Lot of worries and stress, I think.

Going for a run helped, but i really hope this job-searching period works out well.

I will need to find healthier stress relief strategies ... will try to take care of myself.

Backtosportandstudy
Outreach
Im new here. And your story

Im new here. And your story is the first I read and its very inspiring! I just read the whole story and all your records!
What happened to your plans with school? Home studies are good, but if you could learned in school it would also provided a social aspect,, as you seem to miss.

I'm on my second day without gaming now:D

Wish you luck!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Backtosportandstudy
Backtosportandstudy wrote:

Im new here. And your story is the first I read and its very inspiring! I just read the whole story and all your records!
What happened to your plans with school? Home studies are good, but if you could learned in school it would also provided a social aspect,, as you seem to miss.

I'm on my second day without gaming now:D

Wish you luck!

Thank you so much, Backto!

So I didn't have the desire nor the financial means to go back to a school for Computer Science, so I was looking to some "coding bootcamps" around the area but they did cost upwards of $10,000 as well, so decided to stick to teaching myself. But you are totally right, school and academies do provide that social support that I sorely miss. :( ... hopefully I score that first job quickly and establish some career connections.

Wish you luck too!!! The beginning is always the hardest I feel like IMO!!

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Day 22 There were definitely

Day 22

There were definitely days here and there where I wanted to escape to gaming world and avoid thinking about life for awhile. I resorted to "over-sleeping" recently and slept like 12 hours last night (basically from 7PM to the next day's 7AM) but it's a symptom of my escapism habits from the past so I'm kinda used to it ... Kind of my coping mechanism. It will fade away in time, I feel like. YouTube video watching has been another channel of stress-relief.

Working out at the gym is like an oasis for me recently. Gives me an escape from stressful job-searching and studying at home. Didn't know that going to the gym alone could be so valuable during this period.

I am going to be more active on the social front, initiating activities and planning stuff and reconnecting with old friends. I've been kind of scared all this time, not having a job, and kinda being shy about initiating contact with my friends (fear of ridicule and some shame about my job status I guess), but I think that's all BS because i'm just taking this short time off to brush up on new skills and forge a new career. I think I need my friends more than ever during this period, and realize how valuable friends really are.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Day 31 Had a really close

Day 31

Had a really close call yesterday. It was Sunday and having kind of that weekend mentality and "man I made it to 30 days already" mentality kinda lulled me back into a false sense of security. (I think it's kind of that "reward" and "licensing" logic ... 'oh, I went game-free for 30 days, why don't I just get a taste again? It won't be so bad!' that kind of thinking)

I got really close, and due to my craving, I started installing this game that I used to play a lot back like 5-6 years ago. It's really sad when I think about it ... still being so stuck and coming back again and again to a game I played back when I was a college boy ... It's robbed so many hours of my life and I still start craving it after all these years. But fortunately, after a severe internal conflict back-and-forth, I got myself to uninstall it before opening the game.

I think it has a lot to do with "Escapism" and "stress-relief" lately. Job-searching is on full-gear now so there's interviews to go to, job applications to send, rejections to handle and lots of preparation to do. I've heard that job-searching is one of the most stressful things that a person can ever go through ... so now, to avoid all that stress, I think my brain is craving for those same comfortable stimulation from gaming ... immediate fun, immediate reward, a chance to forget about everything for awhile. A chance to run away. I used to do this a lot back in college.

Perhaps, I wouldn't have so much stress if my job-searching was going incredibly well but then again, it's not going that badly either. There's a few interviews and leads, so I really want to make good use of this time window that I have, so that I can score a good job in the upcoming weeks. Playing games will definitely steal precious time, and I don't want to regret in the future "Oh, man, Perhaps I could have gotten a better job if I didn't waste time playing games".

Need to get myself to relieve stress in other healthy ways ... I will try to exercise more, do regular meditation and play/listen to music in my spare time ... and schedule that regular relaxation time. And for sure, I'm going to try to be more social in the weekends as well as go to church. Last few weekends, I was successful in doing that, and it's really helped lift my spirits.

I will need your prayers during this tough time. Thank you so much in advance

MammaTam
OLGA member
Hey Kyunga, Sending lots of

Hey Kyunga,

Sending lots of prayers your way. Job hunting can be a downer, you said it best "rejections to handle". That's the hardest part. I'm proud of you keeping busy with the gym and stuff. I am also really glad you were able to reign yourself in before you actually played. But you cut things pretty fine though. LOL it's crazy what our addict brain tells us is okay, but when you look at it with sober judgement you know that installing a game is a recipe for disaster.

Praying for the right job for you to come through soon.

Hugs Tam

Albert Einstein.

kyunga1214
OLGA member
Hi, everyone, just wanted to

Hi, everyone, just wanted to let you know I'm doing okay!

I had to make a decision between a job-offer as an analyst at a XYZ company and a training program to hone more computer programming skills, and I opted for the latter. For the past month, I've been involved in a full-time iOS training program that takes place from 9AM to 8PM so when I get home, I just pass out after eating dinner so there's really no time to game ... which is a good thing! Programming is not an easy nut to crack but I'm having so much fun and getting a lot out of it. It's also established a good routine in my life so I feel like time is flying by.

Overall, I think I'm going to have a hard time maintaining this thread. I wish I could have told you "Hey, make it through 100 days, and you are home free!" But obviously, I relapsed after that, so that's not true.

But overall, 2014 was the first year I was able to quit for a prolonged time, so I still appreciate all that I learned. Less reliance on gaming meant that I had more time to think about my life and make progress, and I think that's exactly what's happening now. Overall, I am happy about all that's happened. From now on, I will be very careful about being so sucked-in again,and recognizing it if I rely on it as a mental crutch when I want to escape my life. I will be sure to fill my life with meaningful activities so I can prevent that from happening in the future. Exercise, church and social activities have done wonders for me.

If I have any words of advice, I think it's ... "get out there!". I was having a tough time lately because I was stuck at home with a lot of free-time without any commitments besides job-searching. When I actually made a decision to enroll in a program and establish a daily schedule, things got so much easier.

Thank you so much everyone!! I will be back on the forums again hopefully soon!

All my prayers to you ... keep fighting! kyunga