The benefits of the internet while keeping your children safe on-line.
1) Good Family Policy – enforce the rules.
- Good communication
- Create a FAMILY policy
- NO technology can parent your kids like you can
2) Limit Screen Time
- Different for each family
- Different for each AGE
- Take homework into consideration
- Make it work for your family
3) Keep internet use in Open Spaces
- Be close… but not too close!
- Give older kids more space
- Do not allow children to go on-line behind closed doors – set up in living room or kitchen
- Open environments create open communication
4) Check device histories on a regular basis
- They are still KIDS!
- You need to be aware to help them deal with potentially hard situations
- Check weekly
- Make it routine
- Know what sites they frequent
- Pay attention to texts sent and received
KIK app – Free Instant Messaging APP – can share information and chat, even without having a phone number. Parents need to be aware of this, and how it works.
5) Be the BEST Example. Monitor your own activity on-line
- Your kids are watching YOU!
- You are the largest influence on your children
- Stick to family policy
- Kids will copy the way you use the internet