December 28, 2008: What you choose to not see, or prefer to not hear, in your life

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
J. DOe
OLGA member
December 28, 2008: What you choose to not see, or prefer to not hear, in your life

It is what you choose NOT to see in your life that controls your life.
- Lynn Andrews

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
- H. Agar, "A Time for Greatness"

To me, both of the above quotes have a similar message related to my problem with gaming addiction. My life was being controlled, and I was not really free, due to things that I chose to not see in my life and things that I would prefer to not hear. In particular, I am talking about the underlying causes of why I was using playing games, and procrastinating in general, to try to escape from my feelings and avoid my responsibilities in life. For me at least, it is a fairly long and slow process of addressing this but I am doing that now, with stopping playing video games being only a part, but a very important part, of the solution. As such, I am now starting to get back control of my life and I am learning to actually listen to those things that I previously preferred to not hear!

- John O.

[em]Carpe Diem![/em] (Seize the Day!)

dawn
dawn's picture
OLGA member
Dear John, I love your

Dear John, I love your share. thank u so much for posting it. Listening to what we do not want to hear is an example of courage and health. I applaud you my friend. Your words have touched my heart. Dawn

Take the first step in faith. You donaEU(tm)t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.
~Bob Newhart
The minute you alter your perception of yourself and your future, both you and your future begin to change. ~Marilee Zdenek

the_real_me
the_real_me's picture
OLGA member
To me the quotes mean that

To me the quotes mean that many people go through life without taking a personal life inventory, viewing their own habits, and really looking at himself/herself...as objectively as possible. Like the yin and the yang, all people have the dark and the light within them. If people do not reflect on their life, then they are merely looking at the good. It is only through dredging up the dark do people find self- healing.

The question is....will you be able/courageous/adult enough to sacrifice that which merely pleases you...for that which will truly fulfill you? That is the question of personal growth.
~~~Dem518
~~~wow-free since 8/22/09