Dear family, spouses, significant others, parents, friends, loved ones, and concerned others of those affected by excessive gaming,
Welcome to OLG-Anon.
Thank you for registering to be a member of OLG-Anon.
We know this is a frustrating, sad time for you, or you would not be here. We are here so you are not alone. We share our experience, strength and hope to help each other recover and heal from problems caused by excessive gaming.
To learn more about us, please read Who We Are.
The olganon.org website supports:
- The OLGA fellowship (recovering excessive/addicted gamers)
- The OLG-Anon fellowship (friends and family of excessive gamers)
- Outreach (press/media, professionals, the public service division that educates about the “dark-side” of gaming.)
Because you are a family, friend, loved one, parent, spouse or concerned other, you are an OLG-Anon member. You are also encouraged to go to the Outreach section. There is a LOT of information there, that may be helpful to you.
Why You Are Here:
What your heart is telling you, is right! Excessive gaming can suck the real life out of a person and any one who has relationships with that person. It is baffling, cunning and powerful.
As you settle in here, if you have questions or concerns, or think your login is too revealing, you may contact a moderator or an administrator for help. Our moderators are WoW Parent. Our administrators are ( silvertabby, polga, gamersmom or lizwool). You can also post in our Website Help forum.
We have many tools here to support you. Some are described below. (Any time you see blue letters with a line under it, that is a link. Click on it to go to the item described.)
1. Please read the Welcome Letters that best applies to your situation. These have been written by those who have gone before you. They contain words of encouragement and things you can do, now!
- Welcome letter for Parents of Children (Under 18)
- Welcome letter for Parents of Adult Children (Over 18)
- Welcome letter to Spouses/Significant Others
2. Read the OLG-Anon Forums. There is a lot of information here, written by others have been affected by someone who is a gaming addict.
We have public forums, that are open to all. There are 3 different categories:
Start by going to the Friends and Family forum, and reading the Stickied Posts (ones at the top) that interest you.
Then go to the forum closest to the reason you are here, and read those stickied posts.
3. You may want to post your story, ask for support or share successes. Many people begin posting by introducing themselves and explaining why they are here. It feels good to be able to share with others, who know what you are going through, because they are experiencing the same thing! We suggest posting in the section closest to why you are here. People will respond.
To share your story privately, to share your struggles and to vent, please post in the forums for OLG-Anon Members Only.
There are 3 different categories:
- Discussions by Friends and Family (OLG-Anon members only)
- Discussions by Parents (OLG-Anon members only)
- Discussions by Spouses/Significant Others of Gamers (OLG-Anon members only)
These forums can only be accessed by OLG-Anon members. The general public and other groups do not see or post in the OLG-Anon Members Only Forums. Moderators and Administrators do have access to the OLG-Anon Members Only Forums.
If you do post in the open forums, anyone can see your posts. Any members can respond to them. This can be helpful. Please be supportive, sensitive and courteous when you respond to posts! Especially keep that in mind if you are replying to a thread in the recovering gaming addicts (OLGA) open forums. Although this cross-fertilization can be useful, you should generally try to keep those replies to a minimum.
Forum guidelines help us maintain a safe and supportive space for the fellowship. Before posting, please read the guidelines: Registration and Participaton Rules
4. Get to know people here. Welcome new members, as they join.
- We offer Instant Messaging. Look for the small Chat box in the lower right hand corner of the screen. You can instantly chat with anyone who has a Green Light. If there is a time that you do not wish to chat with anyone, please click the Go Idle option. You will get a Yellow light. If people still try to chat with you, ignore them. To back Online (with a green light), click Go Online.
- We have a nice chatroom, where you can go and chat with others.
- You can send private messages to other members on the website.
- You can private message (pm) during chat meetings as well.
- Parents have a weekly on-line meeting on Thursdays, 9 PM Eastern time. To join a meeting, go to the Chat rooms. To select the OLGAnon meeting room, click the number 5 in the upper left hand corner of the screen. A dropdown menu will appear. Select the OLGAnon Meetings room.
- Spouses have a weekly on-line meeting on Tuesdays, 9 PM Eastern time. To join a meeting, go to the Chat rooms. To select the OLGAnon meeting room, click the number 5 in the upper left hand corner of the screen. A dropdown menu will appear. Select the OLGAnon Meetings room.
6. Find members in your area, who you can meet up with for more support. Go to our Members Look-Up By Location (That is why you have been asked for the city and state that you are located in when you registered). Select the Country, State/Province you are from and hit the Apply button. Contact other members by clicking on their username in the list and sending them a private message (near the bottom of the page). Meet up and share ideas, about what is working.
7. List of Professionals by Location. If you are looking for Professional help by someone who recognizes gaming addiction, in your area, we have a database of those Professionals. You can search for a Professional, by location.
8. Game-free homes: Many families are now making their homes game-free. This takes away the drama caused by gaming and families can now concentrate on supporting each other and enhancing their relationships and their real lives. More true human interaction takes place, so people can bond and be more caring and sensitive toward each other.
9. Donations. This organization is financially supported by you, the members. If you appreciate the support you have received here, please make donations, so we can continue. We have monthly fees that we have to pay for. To make a donation, please Donate Here. We are a registered 501c3 organization in the U.S., so all U.S. donations are tax deductible. Thank you for supporting our Community!
Other things that maybe helpful:
- If your gaming addict is violent or in crisis or threatening suicide, go here: For Immediate Support
- What to expect when the gamer stops gaming: The addict may experience withdrawal. Take a look at the possible symptoms here: Withdrawal Symptoms
- You may want to read books or watch videos about gaming addiction; Here are ones that we know about: Books About Gaming Addiction and Videos About Gaming Addiction
- OLGANON now has our own YouTube channel. Go here to watch our videos. You may want to invite your addict to watch them with you. This video, from 2002, tells how we started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJKSYxt_pVg
- Encourage your gamer to join our Recovering Gamer (OLGA) community for support to leave the games. The gamer can have his/her own login and post in the Recovering Gamer (OLGA) Members Only section.
- There are several more tools that can be found under the Helpful Information and the My Links sections, found to the right of the screen.
- Other frequently asked questions are found here: Frequently Asked Questions About Our Organization
We hope this information helps you find support here.
The Staff at On-Line Gamers Anonymous